Thursday, December 4, 2008

And so ends a wonderful ride...

Hi class,
As my internship at the Mesa Arts Center comes to a close I can't help but reflect upon my experiences there. I found the whole experience to be quite fun. I enjoyed working with the different aged children. I worked from pre-school to high school. It was fun working with them on different art aspects such as improv, art exploration, and theater acting. I also enjoyed working with the hectic days for the Dia De Los Muertos celebration. This two day event had me working outside the classroom in a booth where we sold sugar skulls from children to adults. I sure learned a lot! I learned to be patient and to make things work when your plans fall apart. For example Katie was the lady I worked with most of the time and she had to take over the music class after that teacher had to leave for another job. She was at first unprepared (being a theater and puppet person), but then we learned to work with it and to take songs from our own child hoods - plus it helped that she sings in her personal life. I also learned that although the teachers often work alone they still have to work with others when schedules can get crazy sometimes. For example they had to decide who was going to buy snacks or who was going to cover someone's shift if another was out sick. Working at the MAC also further enforced my need to work with younger children rather than teens. The teens got a little crazy at times to the point where the teacher had to yell to get their attention so they would listen. I definitely do not want to do that. I would never trade my experiences at the MAC for anything. I enjoyed working with the staff and the children. The laid back atmosphere was also very awesome. I loved how everyone there got along so well. They all seemed like good friends. Whenever I was having a bad day, knowing that I was going there later in my day would make me smile.
Peace,
Dyanna

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a really good applied study experience at Mesa Arts Center. Good luck with all of your future endeavors.