Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Interview from the Shadow

Hello class,
This week I interviewed the person I Shadowed last week. Her name is Katie and she is a teacher at the Mesa Arts Center. I learned a lot about her background with the Mesa Arts Center and she seems like she truly loves her job. Below is the interview set up as my questions followed by her response (in Q and A form).
Peace,
Dyanna

Q: Why do you do this job?
A: I have been friends with Jennie (her boss) for 24 years and I am really comfortable working with her. Plus I love to teach puppetry and at the MAC I can do that. Also I really love the facility.
Q: What types of challenges do you face?
A: The main challenge that I am facing right now is the Economic challenge and the fact that we are losing some programs because we are just not getting enough kids to sign up for the classes.
Q: How do you deal with deadline stress, difficult people, and internal politics?
A: I have close conversations with my friends and vent to them, behind closed doors. This really helps me deal with hard situations and help me get a new idea on a subject.
Q: What do you like or dislike about your position?
A: I dislike that it is only part time and I only work as they need me. I wish I could work full time there and I want to try getting a position that would allow me to do that. I like the many different things that I get to do everyday. For example I teach, do festival activities, plan events, and talk to different people. It's a lot of fun.
Q: What do you feel can be done to make work go smoother?
A: If everybody had the same work ethic, I think work would go smoother. Sometimes people don't seem to work as hard as they should and put off things that need to be done. That can be a little annoying at times, especially with deadlines coming up.
Q: How do you feel about working with others?
A: I HAVE to work with others because I am a very social person. I love working with others.
Q: How do you separate the personal from the professional?
A: At times this can be a bit tricky because of how long I have been friends with my boss and co-workers. I try to be professional and friends and I never take anyone for granted. I remember that respect is key and I never let that go in my professional atmosphere. I guess that is why I work so hard.
Q: Do you enjoy working on group projects?
A: I do! Although I do enjoy working alone at times, working together on a project is to me more fun.
Q: What is your ideal work environment?
A: I like my current environment (in which she is in a classroom), but if I was able to go full time, I would like an environment where I work more with the crew instead of doing separate jobs. I would like an office where I can do work and also open a door if I want to have a friendly conversation with one of my co-workers.
Q: How do your responsibilities help or hinder in your communications with others or your conflict resolution approaches?
A: It helps that we are all really old friends. We have a shared history that is great. I think the only way it hinders me is that some times I feel like I can't say my true feelings.
Q: How has your education and experience prepared you for your current job?
A: I networked a lot in graduate school and I met a lot of the people I now work with. This helped me with my current job a lot.
Q: After whom do you model your work behavior?
A: I model my teaching behavior from my middle school music teacher. She was strict, but fun. I try to clone her and she began my interest in drama.
Q: Have you reached out to mentors and has the mentorship system worked for you?
A: I contacted Jennie and an ASU teacher of mine. The professor didn't work because he told me I didn't have a job there, but Jennie worked out good. She is now my boss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dyanna,
I loved the Q & A format of your interview! Nice job with your interview blog.