Hi Class,
Before I answer this weeks blog questions, I want to update every0ne on my progress at the MAC (Mesa Arts Center). I have begun helping with the classes at my site. On Monday's I work with pre-schooler's with story time, music, and puppets. The children are read stories that begin with the letter of the week and they sing songs that begin with that letter. After story time they create simple puppets with material provided by the teacher that begin with letter of the week. This week is the letter D, so they were read The Diary of a Worm and they made worms out of socks, plastic bags, cut up noodle parts, and Popsicle sticks. Also on Monday I brought my niece to the classes. She is 2 years old, so she is a bit young for the class, but she still had fun listening to the story, dancing and singing during music time, coloring in the color books, and working with puzzles. The only aspect of the classes that I think she was a bit too young for was when the students made puppets. I didn't let her make a puppet because of the fact that they were created mostly with glue and glue plus a two year old typically does need equal a good idea. It was fun! After the pre-school class I also help with the improv for teens class. In this class the teens are working on monologues that they will be presenting at a competition later in the semester. On Tuesdays I assist with the 2nd grade aged children with art class, dance, and prep to performance. It's amazing how fast the children are learning the hip-hop routine the teacher has been guiding them through. They are going to present the routine to their parents next week. I think the parents will be as amazed as I am! On Thursday's and Friday's I assist middle school aged children to teen aged children with Improvisation. They play acting games that help get them more prepared with being on stage and in front of a camera.
Okay now that you have a general feel of what I do every week, let me answer the post for this week. In the future I hope to work in a facility that is similar to if not the same one as the Mesa Arts Center. I love working with young children in the use of theater. It's amazing to see their progress from week to week. You can really see their improvements and their personalities shine through, especially when they are allowed to create a scene with lines. As of yet I have not talked with the Human Resources department at the MAC about employment there, but I would be interested in finding out information about the policies, how much they pay, etc. Plus I also found out that you don't need a teaching certificate to work there. This is a major plus in my book! I will need to research this more, but I would love to work there because of the positive atmosphere that is promoted at the MAC and the friendly faces that work there. If I am unable to be employed at the MAC, I will be researching other locations and putting my resume out there to explore locations that are similar to the teaching ethics and friendly atmosphere that the MAC provides. This is my ultimate goal when I graduate is to work amongst children in the arts of theater (improv and acting).
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Dyanna, it's Harley! From reading the various blogs I think you might have one of the most exciting applied study sites. At times I wonder if there will be any art, music or athletic programs left in our schools when I have children. It seems that they are the first programs to be cut when money gets tight. I'm glad to see that there are programs that address art, music and theater in early childhood education. Also it is good to see that they also offer programs for all ages, especially with limited programs in many of the schools. In my opinion, this coming from someone who never learned how to play a musical instrument, I feel that one of the most important things a child can learn is music. Hopefully someday soon, we as a society will realize how important music and the performing arts really are.
Hi Dyanna,
I'm Rhashanna. I have to agree with Harley in saying that your internship does sound very interesting. I too am working with kids after school. I love how in your internship, they are being tought letters and you're reinforcing the learning process by doing projects, stories and songs that start with the letter of the day. That is very smart and effective. I think it is also nice that MAC allowed you to bring your niece despite her age to be enriched. If working at MAC is truely what you want to do, then I wish you the best because it seems that you are fitting in quite nicely there I personally would love to assist with the acting games with the older kids because acting has always been a love of mine. Very cool Dyanna. I wish you luck in all future endevors.
Post a Comment